From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:17:22
1 On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3
4 [snip]
5
6 > The problems with that is these: It worked ALL these years, why should
7 > it not now? I have / on a traditional partition which is not going to
8 > resize easily. If I put / on LVM, I need a init thingy. I don't want a
9 > init thingy or I would have put / on LVM too. I made / large enough
10 > that I would not fill it up in the lifetime of this system but not large
11 > enough to absorb /usr. If I am going to have to redo all my partitions
12 > yet again, I will not use LVM. I use LVM to eliminate this EXACT
13 > problem. I got tired of running out of space and having to move stuff
14 > around all the time.
15 >
16 > So, worked for ages, then it breaks when people change where they put
17 > things. Answer is, don't change where you put things. Then things
18 > still work for most everyone, including me. I'm not a programmer nor am
19 > I a rocket scientist but even I can see that. If I can see it, I have
20 > no idea why a programmer can't other than being willingly blinded. ;-)
21 >
22 > Udev/systemd seems to be the problem. How do I come to that conclusion,
23 > eudev people says they will support separate /usr with no init thingy.
24 > Either the eudev folks are rocket scientist type programmers and the
25 > udev/systemd people are playing with fire crackers or there is a way for
26 > this to work with udev/systemd to, IF they wanted it to work. Thing is,
27 > they have some grand scheme to force people to their way of doing
28 > things, which includes a init thingy. Since there is a way to continue
29 > with the old way, which has worked for decades, guess what I am going to
30 > do? Yep, I'm going to jump off the udev ship and onto the eudev ship.
31 > The eudev ship may be old and traditional but it works like I expect.
32 > Now if others want to stay on the current ship, works for me too. I'm
33 > just not liking the meals served on the udev ship anymore.
34 >
35 > I might add, one of the reasons I left Mandriva was because of the init
36 > thingy that kept giving me grief. If I have to use that thing on
37 > Gentoo, the first time it breaks, I'm going to a binary install. If I
38 > am going to put up with that mess, I may as well have something that
39 > installs quickly. That was one thing I liked about Mandriva, install
40 > was really easy. It still is. Ubuntu is too. Actually, they look a
41 > lot alike to me.
42 >
43 > Everyone can have their opinion but I also have mine. This worked fine
44 > for ages until udev/systemd came along. That's my opinion and I don't
45 > think I am alone on that.
46 >
47 > Dale
48
49 What's really missing on Gentoo to make this effectively painless
50 (even if I'd still think it hackish design) is strong automation for
51 updating kernels and initrd images. genkernel and dracut both try to
52 achieve it, but I don't think they've really hit the mark yet...and
53 there'd almost have to be integration with portage to make things
54 truly clean...but safely autobuilding kernels is a very hard problem.
55 And then there's building and pulling in out-of-mainline kernel
56 modules.
57
58 And I don't think there's enough people with the time and interest in
59 getting either tool updated enough that the initrd experience is as
60 clean as it is in, say, Debian or Ubuntu. It'd be a major undertaking.
63 :wq