From: Nils Holland <nhg@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The CHOST variable
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 13:23:29
1 On 21:21 Fri 04 Feb , Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2
3 > * Nils Holland <nhg@×××××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 > > 1) So a package using the GNU build system determines or is passed
6 > > (via --host aka. CHOST) a target triplet specifying the system on
7 > > which the resulting compiled code is supposed to run. What does the
8 > > package do with that information? Does it only use it to determine
9 > > what it has to compile (different / special code for different systems
10 > > / architectures), or does this already have an influence on the
11 > > optimization of the resulting code for a certain (sub-)architecture?
12 >
13 > Exactly. Some packages have arch- and subarch-specific optimizations.
14 > Those things IMHO should be primarily taken from the target triplet
15 > (instead of other ./configure options), as it quite exactly defines
16 > what cputype, platform and toolchain type you're using. It's very
17 > important for crosscompiling (even some toolchains, eg. gcc., could,
18 > and should, be explicitly asked for their target triplet).
19
20 Hi Enrico,
21
22 thanks very much for your in-depth explanation in this and also your
23 other mail you've sent in response to my question. That was really
24 helpful, as it cleared up some things I could previously only guess
25 about but was by no means certain about.
26
27 I've learnt something new (which was my highest priority here), and
28 can even use this knowlede to deduce what makes sense in my current
29 experiments with building my own stage3's and install boot discs via
30 catalyst.
31
32 So, thanks again for your insightful replies!
33
34 Greetings,
35 Nils
39 Nils Holland * Ti Systems, Wunstorf-Luthe (Germany)
40 Powered by GNU/Linux since 1998