From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} ISP requires MTU below 1500?
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 00:57:16
1 >> A while back I was having networking issues. I eventually tried
2 >> drastically lowering the MTU of all the systems onsite and the issues
3 >> disappeared. I always thought the issue was due to the MTU on our
4 >> modem/router. Today I read that AT&T DSL requires a 1492 MTU so I
5 >> increased the MTU of our systems up to 1492 and haven't had any
6 >> issues. Do certain ISPs require you to change the MTU of your entire
7 >> network, or is this likely due to our AT&T modem/router itself?
8 >
9 > AFAIK the MTU is defined for every network interface separately. For an
10 > ADSL connection it is common that a lower MTU is needed because of the
11 > PPPoE header information that is encapsulated in the ethernet frames.
12 > But in that case it is sufficient to lower the MTU just for the WAN
13 > interface that is connected to the DSL modem.
14 > If you don't use protocol encapsulation in your LAN then there should
15 > be IMHO no reason for lowering the MTU of your internal interfaces.
18 So I should be OK with 1492 MTU on the modem/router and 1500 inside
19 that LAN? That hasn't been my experience but I haven't tried in a
20 while. Wouldn't that lead to fragmentation issues? Admittedly, my
21 understanding of this is weak.
22
23 - Grant