From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 11:45:39
1 On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 6:00 AM Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Printers are plug 'n play these days. There is no manual configuration
4 > needed, unless your PCs and/or router configurations do not use zeroconf/mDNS.
7 I don't think that routers need to do anything to support mDNS - I
8 think it is purely a P2P sort of thing. Maybe if the router picks up
9 on mDNS and runs its own DNS resolver and bridges the two it might add
10 value, but I doubt that is a normal thing. I'm not sure if you can
11 even do that with software on Linux (I mean, it should be possible,
12 but I don't think it has been implemented and there could be good
13 reasons not to).
14
15 mDNS needs to be supported more on the PC side. Note that while most
16 desktop-oriented distros support it by default, it isn't part of the
17 base Gentoo install (which is fairly minimal). I don't think the
18 desktop profile pulls it in either by default (maybe we should think
19 about changing that). Getting it running on Gentoo is very simple
20 though: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Avahi
23 Rich