From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ntfs-3g: NTFS partition not recognised under Windows (solution for the archives)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 20:27:10
1 Hi all,
2
3 I just wanted to post this for the archives because I never found a solution
4 from searching the internet (plenty of "me too"'s, though). Perhaps this
5 information will help somebody out there.
6
7 I was having trouble with an NTFS formatted external HDD (USB 2.0, with an MBR).
8 I was the primary user, and accessed it using ntfs3g. It used to work
9 flawlessly under Windows, but stopped working at some point.
10
11 Well, it turned out that *something* had set the partition type to 83 (Linux).
12 Switching it back to type 7 (HPFS/NTFS/EXFAT) got it to work correctly under
13 Windows again (without breaking Linux, of course)! This also alleviated my
14 growing concerns with ntfs3g.
15
16 I don't know for sure what the culprit was. I vaguely remember having the
17 drive split 50/50 between NTFS and ext4 at some point, but got rid of ext4
18 again because ntfs3g seemed to behave well enough (or maybe for some other more
19 concrete reason). Maybe GParted screwed up when writing the partition table and
20 kept the 83 type from the ext4 partition? *shrug*
21
22 Greetings
23 --
24 Marc Joliet
25 --
26 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
27 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup