From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simultaneously emerging multiple packages with same dependencies
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:55:22
1 On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:30:30 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > > Using --jobs does a better job of making use of your CPU because one
4 > > package can use it fully for compiling while another is configuring.
5 >
6 > And what about the last package? The time you gained for faster
7 > configure and install (which don't take too much time anyway) is wasted
8 > again on the last package.
9
10 So on a 20 package world update, only 19 are faster while the 20th runs
11 at the same speed? Where's the loss there? Even if the last were slower,
12 it would be worth it.
13
14 Note that I never use --jobs without an argument, 2 by default, although
15 I could let emerge decide how many parallel processes to run.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Top Oxymorons Number 47: Act naturally