From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: shot an XFS-filesystem, oh my
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 00:35:35
1 On 09/26/2012 04:13 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 >
3 > I had an XFS-filesystem within a KVM-VM (32 bit Gentoo, so it isn't that
4 > off-topic, btw ;-) )
5 >
6 > ... and I did a lot of work within that filesystem over the last 2 days.
7 >
8 > Unfortunately it ran full so I decided to shutdown the VM, use qemu-img
9 > to resize that image-file (raw format), reboot the VM ... and deleted
10 > the partition /dev/vdb1 (virtio ...) and recreated vdb1 with the full
11 > size of the underlying image-file.
12 >
13 > XFS doesn't like that.
14
15 That won't work with any filesystem. I think instead of that last step,
16 you should have booted to a livecd and used GParted to resize the
17 partition. I went through this once:
18
19 > http://michael.orlitzky.com/articles/resizing_a_kvm_or_qemu_disk_image.php
20
21 That won't help you get your stuff back but it might help out the next time.
22
23 There's proprietary software that can scan the disk for the deleted
24 partition. They used to be included on Hiren's Boot CD circa 9.0, but
25 you could easily waste a few hours screwing around with it. If there was
26 nothing critical and nobody else has any clever ideas, you're probably
27 better off reinstalling. You should cherish the times you trash
28 something non-critical.