From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems upgrading X
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:13:01
1 Pablo Antonio wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 > I don't know if this was asked previously or someone had the
4 > same problem I'm about to talk about. If that is the case, please
5 > redirect me to some place where I can find the answer.
6 >
7 > I tried to upgrade to modular X religiously following the "Migrating to
8 > Modular X HOWTO". I removed the old X and installed the new one.
9 > Everything was fine until I rebooted and tried to open my favourite
10 > terminal (uxterm), but it wouldn't. It gave the following error:
11 >
12 > "xterm: error while loading shared libraries: libXaw.so.8: cannot open
13 > shared object file: No such file or directory"
14 >
15 > < snip >
16 >
17 > Thus, it wasn't able to continue with the next emerges. The questions
18 > are: First, how can I fix this? Second, does all this have something to
19 > do with my not being able to run uxterm?
20 >
21 > Last, but not least, scrolling down in firefox works abnormally slow for
22 > some reason. Does this -again- have something to do with all the other
23 > problems?
24 >
25 > Thanks in advance.
28 This may help with one of the problems.
29
30 > root@smoker / # equery belongs libXaw.so.8
31 > [ Searching for file(s) libXaw.so.8 in *... ]
32 > x11-libs/libXaw-1.0.2 (/usr/lib/libXaw.so.8 -> libXaw8.so.8)
33 > root@smoker / #
36 I'm not sure about the rest but at least you can get that missing one.
37
38 Dale
39
41 --