From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 07:45:38
1 On Monday, January 18, 2016 08:35:20 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 7:57 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
4 > >> On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 7:26 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > >>> Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
6 > >>>> However, while an RDP-like solution protects you from some types of
7 > >>>> attacks, it still leaves you open to many client-side problems like
8 > >>>> keylogging. I don't know any major corporation that lets people RDP
9 > >>>> into their applications in general.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> What do they use instead?
12 > >>
13 > >> As I mentioned in my previous email - they just hand all their
14 > >> employees laptops. Control the hardware, control the software,
15 > >> control the security...
16 > >
17 > > I mean instead of rdp. It's a simple solution which works really well
18 > > on a LAN with Windoze. What's the equivalent that works with Linux?
19 >
20 > Well, I've never been in a company that runs Linux on the desktop, or
21 > which even provides VDIs for Windows. The most common solution is to
22 > provide windows laptops to users with various software packages for
23 > management/security/etc.
24
25 VDIs are gaining ground in bigger companies as part of the BYOD push.
26 Especially using Citrix XenDesktop with the icaclient, this works really well.
27
28 > The closest thing to RDP for Linux that I'm aware of us various
29 > NX-based implementations, like x2go, which I've mentioned a few times.
30 > It can be somewhat finicky. And of course there is VNC, which is much
31 > less efficient. I don't think either really gets to the level of RDP
32 > in general.
33 >
34 > I do sometimes wonder how the #1 server OS in the world somehow lacks
35 > decent facilities for graphical remote login, and for sharing files
36 > across the network. (For the latter NFS is a real pain to set up in a
37 > remotely secure fashion - part of the problem is that it is hard to
38 > use some kind of a UUID to drive file permissions, and kerberos/etc is
39 > a pain to set up. There is certainly nothing approaching the ease of
40 > just setting a password on a share or connecting to a windows domain
41 > (even a samba-driven one)).
42
43 I'd love to get something similar to RDP working on linux.
44 But I'm not sufficiently skilled to implement it all myself.
47 Joost