From: pat <pat@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] selecting boot(active?) partition
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:29:06
1 On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 19:51:30 +0100, Mick wrote
2 > On Tuesday 10 July 2007 10:09, pat wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 23:17:50 +0100, Mick wrote
4 > >
5 > > > On Wednesday 04 July 2007 08:51, Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 > > > > Hello pat,
7 > > > >
8 > > > > > Problem is that when there're any non dos/windows partitions the boot
9 > > > > > from recovery partition failed. So, I need to set recovery partition
10 > > > > > bootable and remove all other partitions including /boot with GRUB
11 > > > > > configuration - and when the /boot is removed then there's not
12 > > > > > possible to use GRUB, because of the grub.conf, and that's why I need
13 > > > > > to set recovery partition bootable without GRUB.
14 > > > >
15 > > > > Set the partition to be bootable in cfdisk, before removing the Linux
16 > > > > partitions.
17 > > >
18 > > > fdisk, cfdisk, etc. will all set the bootable flag. The question is
19 > > > why do you need to remove a)grub, b)the /boot partition? Is your
20 > > > Windows recovery partition script expecting Windows to be the first
21 > > > partition on the disk and you have moved it since installation?
22 > > >
23 > > > Perhaps next time you'll use partimage with Gentoo to create a back
24 > > > up image of your Windows partition and so you will be able to
25 > > > restore it within 40 minutes or so, depending on the speed of your
26 > > > machine.
27 > >
28 > > Well, the recovery process requires whole disk space and "clear" MBR. Yes,
29 > > right now I've 'dd'ed fresh windows installation and next reinstall should
30 > > be really fast - expect 15 minutes instead of the whole day ;-)
31 > >
32 > > Some information what I've used to remove GRUB from MBR. In windows (don't
33 > > beat me) there are tools 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' and Ive used them.
34 > >
35 > > Probably last question: When I've tried to set the recovery partition
36 > > 'active' in fdisk, the system still boots from the GRUB and not from the
37 > > 'active' partition ... I think I've did it wrong, did I?
38 >
39 > fixmbr will replace GRUB's boot code in the mbr with ntldr's (WinXP)
40 > . fixboot will replace the partition boot sector code with WinXP's.
41 > You'll need to run the former on the drive and the latter on the
42 > partition in which the WinXP installation existed. Not sure if you
43 > would need to run fixboot on your recovery partition, but I don't
44 > know how your 'recovery partition' works. Does it contain a
45 > complete image of your WinXP partition? Usually, the conventional
46 > WinXP recovery partition only contains certain libs & configuration
47 > files, not a complete installation.
48
49 This one contains full WinXP install ... :-\
52 > > Thanks to all for help.
53 >
54 > You're welcome.
55 > --