From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: update problems
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 17:18:12
1 On 22/09/2015 18:39, James wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 >>> I'll add --oneshot to the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS= in make.conf.
7 >
8 >>>> I sometimes wonder why that isn't the default way. I guess because it
9 >>>> would confuse folks for a bit and because it has always been that way.
10 >
11 >>> One thing I see, is now you have a system that is full of pkg that do
12 >>> not update normally. I guess I'm say if you install pakages with --oneshot,
13 >>> they are not automatically updated, or are they? (discussion).
14 >
15 >>> 'emerge -uDNv world' is the most common form of update, probably, used
16 >>> by gentoo users. So how to best ferret out those oneshot packages for
17 >>> update; and that's if they should be updated.... semantics on that?
18 >
19 >> I think you two have it backwards.
20 >
21 > mostly true for routine users. I myself find myself testing codes
22 > and inter operability between codes and stuff I write, more that
23 > just installing from the portage tree. I guess you could say I'm moving
24 > from user to hacker status (with extreme prejudice). I do not alway
25 > remember (-1); particularly when manually cleansing problems like the recent
26 > ncurses episode. I like Dale's approach. I just need a tool option or simple
27 > script that tells me what is installed and not in @system or @world.
28 > Surely this code/option exist and I have just missed it in the literature?
31 >> The intended workflow is that if you emerge something, you know what it
32 >> is, you don't have to make further decisions about it and you want it
33 >> in world.
34 >
35 > users yes, hackers no. For a long time, I just used gentoo.
36 > Now I'm coding (specifcations --> architecture --> then code)
37 > and hacking (modifying other codes) quite a lot. I have a robust
38 > world file that migrates from workstation to workstation and only
39 > update it, replace pkgs, or add a select few niftyones, like
40 > trace-cmd and heaptrack.
41 >
42 > So I'm not suggesting this for normal, new gentoo users.
45 > <at> world, by definition, is the list of packages you want. That plus
46 > <at> system plus all deps constitutes the set of what should be on the
47 > system, anything you have not in that set is subject to depcleaning
48 >
49 > true.
50 >
51 > If you are not sure about some package, by all means emerge it with -1.
52 > Check it out, verify it, make sure it does what you want then get it in
53 > world with emerge -n. Why would you want to have stuff around for
54 > extended periods that is not in world?
55 >
56 > Again, user focused, mostly true.
57 >
58 > If you have a package that you no longer want (as you know what is in
59 > your world right), unmerge it with -C
60 >
61 > It's not that simple. I'm spending a large amount of my gentoo-admin
62 > time installing--testing--marinating--modifying--testing--removal.
63 > Dale's simple suggesting is brilliant for my needs. (thx Dale).
64 >
65 > Don't make life difficult for yourself. It's MUCH easier to know what's
66 > in world than to try and remember what should be and isn't.
67 >
68 > Users (YES) hackers(??? no in my case).
69 >
70 > Sorry bro, I'm running with Dale in this one.
71
72 Portage can help with that then.
73
74 The trick is to realise the exact question you are asking: what packages
75 do I have installed for testing purposes and that are not in world?
76
77 Seeing as @world is really just a regular set, use sets to your
78 advantage. Create as many or as few or you need in /etc/portage/sets/
79 and emerge them (or just add the set name to /var/lib/portage/world_sets)
80
81 They will update with a deep world update, but they are together in one
82 place where you can add and remove them at will. Just don't do
83
84 emerge @set_name, that won;t do an update, it will re-emerge everything
85 in the set
86
87 > Now, I still need a --oneshot parser solution for vdb (/var/db/pkg/)?
88
89 --depclean
90
91 If portage wants to take it out, it's not in world or a dep. To the best
92 of my knowledge portage does not record that you used -1, it simply does
93 not add the package to world. So you need to do it the long way, which
94 is what --depclean does
95
96 > 1] Glep-64 preliminary code?
97 > 2] a DAG?
98 > 3] Neil's mod to CheckInstall?
99 > 4] a 'man page option' would be keenest; that I have missed?
100 > 5] a script?
101 > 6] or a profile? [10] default/linux/amd64/13.0/developer
102 >
103 > I've been looking for some details on the developer profile;
104 > a list of additional packages only or some other keen settings
105 > and other goodies ?
109 > James
119 Alan McKinnon
120 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com