From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Please help me get my printer working again.
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:37:42
1 Hi, Gentoo.
2
3 My printer used to work. According to CUPS, its last succesful print
4 was in February. (Incidentally, I used to have an up-to-date system, but
5 that went when I screwed it up after Gentoo made Gnome-3 stable and I
6 tried to switch out of Gnome. My last emerge --sync was around the same
7 time.)
8
9 When I tried to print a *.pdf from evince, I got an error message saying
10 /path/to/foomatic-rip didn't exist. (Sorry, I can't reproduce the exact
11 error message any more). It would seem there has been a change from
12 foomatic filters to cups-filters (which I have installed) at some stage.
13
14 But I don't recall this change, and I can't find any docs about how to
15 configure printing to use cups-filters. When I go through the "Modify
16 printer" sequence in http://localhost:631, and try to change the filter,
17 I just get presented with a long list of foomatic filters.
18
19 I've been at this stage for some while now, dreading the impending hours
20 and hours of web searching. Any tips people can give me to cut this
21 miserable process short will be most warmly received.
22
23 By the way, what has happened to the helpful documentation which used to
24 be at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en? Most of it seems to have
25 disappeared. There used to be a helpful doc on setting up a printer,
26 but that has gone. (I'm lucky enough to be able to read the German
27 translations, which (largely, at least) still exist, but they're
28 somewhat out of date).
31 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).