From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless Help
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:12:09
1 Okay, I'm totally confused now and don't know what to do!
2
3 On 7/7/06, Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > I would really recommend you use wpa_supplicant as IMO it is far
7 > easier to configure and supports more access methods than iwconfig.
8 > Since your wireless card is clearly detected it should be trivial to
9 > setup. Check out this article in the wiki (which you may have already
10 > looked at):
11 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Wireless_Configuration_and_Startup#Configuration_using_wpa_supplicant
15 When I boot my computer and do modprobe ndiswrapper, and then run iwconfig,
16 I get the following (as I stated in my previous post)
19 > > localhost ~ # iwconfig
20 > > lo no wireless extensions.
21 > >
22 > > eth0 no wireless extensions.
23 > >
24 > > wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"beam26wireless"
25 > > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point:
26 > 00:13:10:99:9C:BF
27 > > Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm
28 > > RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
29 > > Encryption key:off
30 > > Power Management:off
31 > > Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-60 dBm Noise level:-256
32 > dBm
33 > > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
34 > > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
38 I can connect in a "clunky" fashion if I type 'ifconfig wlan0 up' and then
39 'dhcpcd wlan0' from the command line.
40
41 However, what I want to do is to be able to connect automatically to my
42 wireless access point, or for that matter any available wireless access
43 point.
44
45 So, I took the above advice and emerged wpa_supplicant.
46
47 Following the wiki, I created very simple wpa_supplicant.conf file by
48 copying the following lines from the wpa_supplicant.conf.example file,
49 pasting them into the wpa_supplicant.conf file that I was creating and
50 modifying them for my own situation.
51
52 network={
53 ssid="beam26wireless"
54 scan_ssid=1
55 psk="******"
56 priority=2
57 }
58
59 I did put something into the psk= filed, but have blanked it out here. From
60 the example file this seemed to be most suited to my situation. Right now,
61 I haven't set up encryption on my cable/DSL router because my son connects
62 wirelessly with his Windows computer and he'll have a fit if he can't
63 connect until I can tear him of the laptop long enough to enter the
64 encryption code into his wireless configuration.
65
66 Next, the wiki said to put these lines into the /etc/conf.d/net file (which
67 had nothing in it because it assumes dhcp):
71 modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
72
73 wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dndiswrapper"
74 wpa_timeout_wlan0=60
75
76 Again, these lines have been modified to suit my situation.
77
78 However, if I boot the laptop without the ethernet cable connected, it hangs
79 when running the dhcpcd daemon.
80
81 I'm sure I'm missing something, but I don't know what.
82
83 Any further assistance would be appreciated and I apologize for having to be
84 "led by the nose".
85
86 Regards,
87