From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the "halt" user for?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 19:10:57
1 On 2019.06.19 15:00, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > I'd like to have a quick way to halt my system from the keyboard,
3 > without relying on obscure key combinations such as Alt-Up. Logging
4 > in
5 > as a special user (with a special password) would be ideal. And I saw
6 > that a "halt" user already exists, with /sbin/halt as a login shell,
7 > so
8 > someone must have thought of this. But as it is, it doesn't work:
9 > even
10 > if I give the "halt" user a password (by running "passwd halt" as
11 > root),
12 > I get "Login incorrect" when I in fact try to login as that user.
13 >
14 > Moreover, I don't see how it _could_ possibly work: the uid of "halt"
15 > is
16 > 7, and /sbin/halt is not suid, so how could the process inherited from
17 > login, with uid 7, send a signal to pid 1 - which is IIRC how halting
18 > functions? I must be missing something important.
19 >
20 > (No systemd here, if it wasn't already obvious.)
21
22 Won't "sudo halt" work? I frequently do "sudo reboor" or just "reboot"
23 from a root shell. (I am also systemd free.)
24
25 Jack