From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looking for other Seamonkey users
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 08:34:53
1 Dan Egli wrote:
2 > On 4/6/2021 10:41 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> I've done some research.  It seems Dovecot is what I need.  It uses mbox
4 >> and has some features I might need one day already where Courier doesn't
5 >> but there isn't much difference really.  If anyone is curious, the
6 >> comparison is here.
7 >>
8 >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_mail_servers
9 >>
10 >> The biggest thing, mbox.  If I recall correctly that is what Seamonkey
11 >> uses and I should be able to import those easy enough.  It at least
12 >> gives me a head start.  Since this is a whole new deal, going to start a
13 >> new thread if nobody pops up and says nooooooo to Dovecot.  I found a
14 >> guide here:
15 >>
16 > Seamonkey is a web browser. Therefore, mbox vs maildir is meaningless
17 > to it. All it knows it it talks to the imap server and the imap server
18 > replies and sends a message.
19 >
20 > Having said that, AVOID mbox like the plague! It is only a matter of
21 > time before mbox mail files get corrupted. Maildir is INFINITELY
22 > safer. And in the event of corruption in maildir, you loose ONLY the
23 > corrupted messages. Corrupt your mbox file and you're likely to loose
24 > the whole folder!
25 >
26 > As far as moving from one to another, both mbox and maildir are
27 > standards. So if imap server X and Y both use Maildir, then swapping
28 > between them is easy, and POINTLESS, due to the fact that imap
29 > maintains the files on your server. So, if you move to a different
30 > mail CLIENT (thunderbird for example) then the new client only needs
31 > to take the time to re-download the messages from the server. It's the
32 > same way webmail and a client can work together. Neither is doing the
33 > actual work with the files. Each is only sending commands to a
34 > separate server program to work with the files.
35 >
36 >> http://www.wikigentoo.ksiezyc.pl/Dovecot.htm
37 >>
38 >> So far, it is Gentoo based.  I found another one but it is Ubuntu
39 >> based.  May work but commands are different.  Trying to go by a Gentoo
40 >> based one.  If anyone has a better one, please share links.
41 >>
42 >> May start new thread in a day or so if no one shouts nooooo.
43 > Consider this the shout. I can't stop you from using mbox, but I can
44 > shout at the top of my lungs that it's a BAD IDEA. And I can say over
45 > and over that changing your imap SERVER will have ZERO impact on what
46 > Seamonkey does. The only exception would be if you have a mail server
47 > (original or new) that doesn't fully follow the imap protocol. And in
48 > that case, who knows what the change will do.
52 I looked, Dovecot can use either mbox or maildir.  Can Dovecot convert
53 those to or must I use a different tool?
54
55 To anyone using Dovecot, just what all had to be installed?  This is
56 what emerge gives me right now.
59 root@fireball / # emerge -av dovecot
60
61 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
62
63 Calculating dependencies... done!
64 [ebuild  N     ] acct-group/dovecot-0-r1::gentoo  0 KiB
65 [ebuild  N     ] acct-group/dovenull-0-r1::gentoo  0 KiB
66 [ebuild  N     ] acct-user/dovecot-0-r1::gentoo  0 KiB
67 [ebuild  N     ] acct-user/dovenull-0-r1::gentoo  0 KiB
68 [ebuild  N     ] net-mail/dovecot-2.3.13-r100::gentoo  USE="bzip2 ipv6
69 lzma mysql pam sqlite tcpd zlib -argon2 -caps -doc -kerberos -ldap
70 (-libressl) -lua -lucene -lz4 -managesieve -postgres -rpc (-selinux)
71 -sieve -solr -static-libs -suid -textcat -unwind -zstd"
72 LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="lua5-1 -lua5-2 -lua5-3" 7,282 KiB
73
74 Total: 5 packages (5 new), Size of downloads: 7,282 KiB
75
76 Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
79 I suspect I need to install some other packages to make certain things
80 work.  Then again, maybe they already installed??  Some may recall that
81 cron jobs sent emails so it has to have packages installed for that.
82 The guide I linked to elsewhere has USE flags not listed above.  It may
83 be out of date.  It does say not to use it for older 1.* versions of
84 Dovecot tho.  Just trying to see what I'm getting into here.  I think
85 this is a really good idea but want to see how deep the water is before
86 jumping in.  I can't swim, well, I do, like a lead rock.  :/
87
88 Thanks.
89
90 Dale