From: Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emacs-common-gentoo-1[X] mask
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 23:14:44
1 > > Looking at /usr/portage/app-editors/emacs/emacs-22.3-r2.ebuild, I see
2 > > that it depends unconditionally on app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo.
3 > > You cannot eliminate this dependency by changing USE flags.
4 > > The most natural solution is to tell Portage to accept the package
5 > > app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo, even though it is not officially stable.
6 > >
7 > > To learn how to do this, read the portage man page and look
8 > > for package.keywords.
9 > >
10 > > For quick, "cake recipe" instructions:
11 > >
12 > > 1) If there is a file named package.keywords in /etc/portage,
13 > > add to it the line
14 > > app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo
15 > >
16 > > 2) If there is a directory named package.keywords in /etc/portage,
17 > > you can create a file in it (the name of this file is irrelevant),
18 > > and add to this file the line
19 > > app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo
20 > > If there is already some file in /etc/portage/package.keywords, then,
21 > > at your option, you can either edit this file and add to it the line
22 > > app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo
23 > > or you can create a new file with this line.
24 > >
25 > Thank you very much for your prompt, clear, and comprehensive response.
26 > Your suggestion solved the problem.
27 > Best regards,
28 > John
29 You are welcome. I forgot to stress something:
30 after some version of app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo
31 at least as recent as 1.0 becomes stable, you may want to
32 remove the line
33 app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo
34 from the file you have edited, so that Portage will go back
35 to its normal behavior of seeking stable versions of the package.
36
37 Anyway, using a testing (not officially stable) version of a single,
38 simple package is unlikely to lead to problems.
39
40 I prefer to use stable, tested package versions in my system,
41 but one small exception for a small and simple package is harmless.
44 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free. --Linus Torvalds