From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anybody want to beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:04:34
1 On Nov 15, 2011 11:19 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 14:44:58 +0700
4 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
5 >
6 > > > Create the file if it doesn't already exist. You now have a
7 > > > totally udev-free machine
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > Sounds nice!
11 > >
12 > > However, my Gentoo systems are all virtual servers (DomU VMs on
13 > > XenServer). So, the hardware devices are static. Will switching over
14 > > to mdev give any benefits?
15 > >
16 > > I even am toying around with the idea of having a completely
17 > > static /dev, but still can't find any guide/pointers yet.
18 > >
19 > > (Apologies if my email is OOT)
22 > A VM can be surprisingly useful for this. If you can emulate different
23 > hardware you can generate useful testing scenarios quickly. The tests
24 > won't be conclusive (emulated hardware is not the same thing as real
25 > hardware) but you *can* test to a standard.
28 True. Unfortunately, I don't have 'exotic' hardware to test mdev against,
29 and USB pass-through is not yet supported on XenServer 5.6 (which I'm using
30 right now).
31
32 I can try it inside VirtualBox on my Windows workstation though. Will that
33 help?
34
35 Rgds,