From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How can I power disk off?
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 02:53:07
1 On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 8:29 PM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2011-10-06, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> In my server I have a few disks which must be running 24/7,
6 >> but I also have a single big hard-drive, which is used only
7 >> for a few minutes every day, just for backups. How could I
8 >> power disk off when not needed (and "on" again when needed)
9 >> in order to save a little power and prolong its life?
10 >
11 > That prompts one to ask the question:  Does spinning a drive up/down
12 > every day lengthen or shorten it's life compared to having it on 24/7
13 > (assuming the same number of seeks in both cases).
14
15 I think it is generally believed that by NOT spinning down the drive,
16 you are going to shorten its life-span. Any HDD made in the past few
17 years are designed with spin-up/spin-down when idle in mind.
18 Constantly spinning will probably wear it out faster than regularly
19 spinning up and down. It should be able to handle thousands of
20 spin-up/spin-down cycles with ease. I think SMART will tell you how
21 many times it has happened.
22
23 In my case I disabled it because I found it to be annoying and
24 inappropriate for my RAID, but I realize I'm wasting power and
25 probably jeopardizing the long-term health of my drives by not
26 allowing them to spin-down.