From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVMe drive and grub
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 07:22:34
1 On 9 April 2016 06:43:50 BST, peter@××××××××××××.uk wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote :
3 >
4 > > On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 13:26:31 -0400, Poison BL. wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > --> /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi
7 > > > This one is what your UEFI's loading at boot. The lack of any
8 > other
9 > > > files in /boot/efi/boot/ makes me suspect Grub's not actually
10 > > > installed in quite the right spot for the UEFI layer to load it.
11 > If
12 > > > you pointed grub2-install at the right place (the second command
13 > line
14 > > > at [1]), I believe you should have grubx64.efi there as well.
15 > >
16 > > Did you build GRUB with GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64"?
17 >
18 > Yes, as instructed in the wiki.
19 >
20 > > As you're using EFI, you may find life easier if you dispense with
21 > GRUB
22 > > and use Gummiboot. I find it (or the systemd version) far more
23 > friendly.
24 >
25 > Maybe I should give it a go - thanks for the idea. I did consider it
26 > but then I was deterred by its description as "minimalistic".
27
28 The usual complaint about GRUB2 is that it is too complex, so minimal is good here. I only have it installed to be able to boot my System Rescue ISO in an emergency, I've not found a way to go that without GRUB.
29 --
30 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.