From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [getting on-topic I think] dial-up, switching isp's and other thoughts.
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 20:49:35
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 12 September 2008 02:51:21 Dale wrote:
4 > > Get a Yahoo email account and pay for POP access, about $20.00 a year I
5 > > think.  I think this will make it so that I never have to change email
6 > > addresses when I switch ISPs and will get the same service regardless
7 > > of who I connect to the internet with in the future.  This is a long
8 > > term fix to my email switching issue.
9 >
10 > Use Gmail rather. It's cheaper - can't get cheaper than free - and just
11 > works better. Plus their anti-spam measures are very very good. I get
12 > about 1000 spams a month and average about 2 or 3 false positives and
13 > false negatives a month.
14
15 This may be true, but... don't we Gentooers tend to focus on security and
16 privacy?
17
18 Google stores emails (the user's own and all that others send him) forever.
19 Even if you delete them. You cannot get them back, but Google can. And they
20 not only store the data, they analyze it. And if you allow your browser to
21 use cookies, Google can connect your whole search history with your email
22 address and th econtent they extract from your mails.
23
24 This is spooky. Such things I do not want, and even if I would care, all the
25 other persons sending email to me might. Some might even choose not to send
26 email to me at all.
27
28 http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/
29 http://epic.org/privacy/gmail/faq.html