From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] THE SCREAM.
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:58:08
1 You know that famous Van Gough painting? That kinda haunts you because
2 it's absolutely silent...
3
4 Well, that's what my computer is like since sound stopped working a few
5 days ago. =|
8 I have these speakers that basically haven't been turned off in 9 years,
9 but I can still play my PS3's sound through them through the aux input,
10 so I'm pretty sure they're still good.
11
12 I thought it was just a pulseaudio configuration, so I managed to get
13 that bastard restarted, no luck, then it was complaining that the audio
14 device was stuck or something, I warm booted then cold booted... Still
15 no sound. =(
16
17 Nothing has changed on the machine except I made the horrible,
18 unforgivable mistake of trying to update the software on my machine. =\
19
20 It has been so long since I have had a problem with my audio config, I
21 don't know where to begin solving this. Right now there are no error
22 messages, it just pretends to play sound normally but doesn't. =(
23
24 lspci output:
25 #####################
26 00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00
27 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
28 Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
29 Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
30 Memory at fe500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
31 Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
32 Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
33 Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
34 #####################
37 My pulseaudio setup is nothing but defaults:
38
39 tortoise pulse # pulseaudio --dump-conf
40 ### Read from configuration file: /etc/pulse/daemon.conf ###
41 daemonize = no
42 fail = yes
43 high-priority = yes
44 nice-level = -11
45 realtime-scheduling = yes
46 realtime-priority = 5
47 allow-module-loading = yes
48 allow-exit = yes
49 use-pid-file = yes
50 system-instance = no
51 local-server-type = user
52 cpu-limit = no
53 enable-shm = yes
54 flat-volumes = yes
55 lock-memory = no
56 exit-idle-time = 20
57 scache-idle-time = 20
58 dl-search-path = /usr/lib64/pulse-7.0/modules
59 default-script-file = /etc/pulse/default.pa
60 load-default-script-file = yes
61 log-target =
62 log-level = notice
63 resample-method = auto
64 enable-remixing = yes
65 enable-lfe-remixing = yes
66 lfe-crossover-freq = 120
67 default-sample-format = s16le
68 default-sample-rate = 44100
69 alternate-sample-rate = 48000
70 default-sample-channels = 2
71 default-channel-map = front-left,front-right
72 default-fragments = 4
73 default-fragment-size-msec = 25
74 enable-deferred-volume = yes
75 deferred-volume-safety-margin-usec = 8000
76 deferred-volume-extra-delay-usec = 0
77 shm-size-bytes = 0
78 log-meta = no
79 log-time = no
80 log-backtrace = 0
81 rlimit-fsize = -1
82 rlimit-data = -1
83 rlimit-stack = -1
84 rlimit-core = -1
85 rlimit-rss = -1
86 rlimit-as = -1
87 rlimit-nproc = -1
88 rlimit-nofile = 256
89 rlimit-memlock = -1
90 rlimit-locks = -1
91 rlimit-sigpending = -1
92 rlimit-msgqueue = -1
93 rlimit-nice = 31
94 rlimit-rtprio = 9
95 rlimit-rttime = 200000
96 tortoise pulse #
99 IQ is a measure of how stupid you feel.
100
101 Powers are not rights.