From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] qemu / nbd
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 21:51:08
1 On 12/5/19 12:22 PM, n952162 wrote:
2 > But, since it's included in the package, and apparently (from the name)
3 > will use a NBD device, then I think the dependency is logical
4
5 I disagree.
6
7 QEMU itself does not use NBD. Thus QEMU does not need to depend on
8 qemu-nbd. QEMU uses files on mounted file systems.
9
10 qemu-nbd is a — perhaps questionably named — utility that allows QEMU
11 disk images / files to be accessed as if they were NBDs. Not the other
12 way around. qemu-nbd does not allow QEMU to use NBDs.
13
14 As I understand it, nothing about /QEMU/ is dependent on any NBD support.
19 Grant. . . .
20 unix || die