From: Corbin <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Skype
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 17:37:52
1 On 11/27/2017 11:10 AM, Jigme Datse Yli-RAsku wrote:
2 > Is Skype "largely unusable" on Gentoo? It feels like about 3 days ago I
3 > was forced to upgrade because "this version is no longer supported" and
4 > to upgrade I had to keyword the latest version. If this keeps
5 > happening, to me, this is broken. And I'm not sure if the problem is
6 > that we are so far behind, that when Microsoft removes support we only
7 > just barely meet the requirements, or if there is something I am missing.
8 >
9 > I *do* like to keep my computer updated, but unless I misunderstand (and
10 > it seems that Gentoo has changed a lot since I started using it about
11 > 15-20 years ago (I think)) stable is the recommended way to run the
12 > system unless you want to go into "here be pesky programmes" territory.
13 > When I started, even "stable" was a lot more work than previously used
14 > distributions, but with Gentoo, I've always felt that with Gentoo, while
15 > doing "basic stuff" can be more difficult, other distributions have
16 > always been "if it doesn't work out of the box, it's probably not that
17 > worth trying to figure it out."
18 >
19 > I still feel that getting things working in Gentoo is always "a bit of
20 > work" and if it "doesn't just work" it often still can be done without a
21 > whole lot more work. But having to upgrade in a "manual way" on
22 > approximately a weekly basis just to have functionality tells me that
23 > something is badly broken (and I don't feel it is Gentoo in this case,
24 > but I need to have some better understanding).
25 >
26 > I know, that when I was trying to figure out just "what was supported" I
27 > actually wasn't getting good information...
28 >
29 personal opinion/
30
31 It is the software author / maintainer being stupid.
32
33 Two Possibilities :
34
35 # 1 : They can't do it right the first time, so they get to constantly
36 redo it.
37
38 # 2 : Skype is a MS product. MS still ( on purpose ) breaks their
39 software routinely so it will not work on other OS's.
40
41 NOTE : Microsoft has a reputation for being a "feckless weasel" when it
42 comes to what is supported and how it is supported.
43
44 /personal opinion.
45
46 Corbin