From: Ignas Anikevicius <anikevicius@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Runlevels, ordering initscripts and running them in background
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 14:51:56
1 On 16/05/12 14:15, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 16 May 2012 09:40:26 +0100, Ignas Anikevicius wrote:
3 >
4 >> I want to do this, so that I do not have to wait while non-crucial
5 >> services are being started (e.g. fcron, bitlbee, ntpd to name a few).
6 >> Maybe it is possible to somehow prioritize the initscripts?
7 >
8 > Yes it is. The initscripts themselves have such a mechanism, using the
9 > before and after statements, for example making sure that network
10 > services are started after the network is brought up. You can add your
11 > own rules to the daemons' config files in /etc/conf.d or to /etc/rc.conf.
12 >
13 > To have bitlbee start after xdm either add
14 >
15 > rc_after="xdm"
16 >
17 > to /etc/conf.d/bitlbee or put
18 >
19 > rc_bitlbee_after="xdm"
20 >
21 > in /etc/rc.conf. Both have the same effect, it depends on whether you
22 > want to put all these settings together or in the individual services'
23 > config files.
26 Thanks for the tip!, I will use this to see how much difference do I
27 get. :)
28
29 Cheers,
30 Ignas