From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI kernel installation?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 03:37:26
1 On 6/16/19 7:02 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
2 > So you didn't read what I wrote ... Par for the course :-(
3
4 I did. I still hear people say it today. It's not old as in past tense.
5
6 > The basic Unix mechanism needs twice ram.
7
8 I disagree.
9
10 > It's inherent in the design of the thing. Whether linux no longer
11 > uses the Unix mechanism, or it's had the hell optimised out of it I
12 > don't know.
13 >
14 > Either way, machines today get by on precious little swap - that's
15 > fine.
16 >
17 > Historic note - the early linux 2.4 vanilla kernels enforced the twice
18 > ram rule - a lot of people who didn't read the release notes got nasty
19 > shocks when their machines locked up the moment they touched swap ...
20
21 I disagree because I ran 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, and 2.6 kernels without swap
22 being twice the ram or greater. Swap did get used. They did not crash
23 when accessing swap.
24
25 > And okay my machine only has 16GB of ram (and 64GB of swap - 32GB
26 > each across two disks), but I'm pretty sure that if I followed your
27 > guidelines, an emerge would crash my system as the tmpfs ran out of
28 > space ...
29
30 I doubt it.
31
32 I've routinely done emerges on machines with < 16 GB of memory and 2 GB
33 of swap. Including llvm, clang, gcc, rust, Firefox and Thunderbird.
34
35 I routinely do an emerge -DuNe @world on a VPS with 1 GB of memory and 1
36 GB of swap. It works just fine. If I want to speed things up I enlarge
37 the VPS to 2 GB of memory and 1 GB of swap. Granted, it doesn't try to
38 compile things like Firefox and Thunderbird, thus Rust.
39
40 > And those people who wrote your guidelines?
41
42 I just looked again, and Red Hat has lowered their recommendation from
43 what I remember from a few years ago.
44
45 Link - Table 15.1. Recommended System Swap Space
46 -
47 https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/storage_administration_guide/ch-swapspace#tb-recommended-system-swap-space
48
49 RAM ≤ 2 GB = swap should be 2 times the amount of RAM
50 2 < RAM ≤ 8 GB = swap should be equal to the amount of RAM
51 8 < RAM ≤ 64 GB = swap should be at least 4 GB
52 64 < RAM = swap should be at least 4 GB
53
54 > Are they the same clueless people who believe the twice ram rule is
55 > pure fiction?
56
57 I don't consider Red Hat's official statement to be "clueless".
58
59 Seeing as how their rules include "twice the RAM" in the first
60 condition, I don't think they thought it was pure fiction.
61
62 > (As I said, it is *historical* *fact*).
63
64 I question the validity of that statement.
65
66 > And why should I believe people who tell me the rule no longer
67 > applies, if they can't tell me WHY it no longer applies? I'd love
68 > to be enlightened - why can't anybody do that?
69
70 I'm not saying you should believe people.
71
72 My opinion is that the 2 x RAM no longer applies because systems don't
73 utilize swap space. As such it's a waste of disk space to dedicate 2 x
74 RAM to swap.
75
76 Look at the output of free. Or better, run sysstat / SAR and watch swap
77 usage. How much does your system use? How much disk space to you want
78 to dedicate to something that's likely hardly being touched.
79
80 Do what you want.
81
82 But be prepared to put the shoe on the other foot and explain why you
83 think that you should have 2 x RAM on each disk.