From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [gentoo-user] dm-crypt + ext4 = where will the journal go?
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 14:18:09
1 "Roland Häder" wrote:
2 > - sda2 - encrypted swap (at least as double as your RAM) (crypt-swap)
3 >
4 > Regards,
5 > Roland
6 >
7 > [1]: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/DM-Crypt
11 I don't think this is true anymore. It was back when machines had small
12 amounts of ram. Case in point, I have 16Gbs of ram. If I have a
13 program that needs more than that, I need a bigger machine anyway.
14 Since ram has got so large, and cheap, I always make my swap around 1Gb
15 or so. If something does run away and eat up ram, I got enough swap
16 that I have time to kill it. I would not make a 32Gb swap partition
17 tho. That would slow about any machine to a crawl if it starts using
18 that much.
19
20 I think the new method for determining swap is to use what makes sense
21 and not the old rule of 'twice the ram'.
22
23 Hope that helps.
24
25 Dale
26
30 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!