From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Delays while building Libre Office.
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 11:58:33
1 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > Hi, Gentoo.
4 >
5 > I've just built libreoffice-3.6.6.2 and it took 2 hours 10 minutes on my
6 > 2.6 GHz quad core Athlon 2. It used to take about an hour.
7 >
8 > Watching the build, it became evident that the first 50 minutes or so
9 > was taken up by several hundred mkdir operations (more precisely, mkdir
10 > -p <long path>). Some of these mkdir's would take, perhaps, a minute to
11 > execute. All the while, top showed make taking 100% of one core.
12 >
13 > There seems to be something suboptimal here. Has anybody else seen
14 > this, or does anybody have any ideas how to fix the problem?
15
16 Just to test the file system, you may copy a large tree with "cp -l" within
17 the same partition, since it creates only hard links, no data is actually
18 copied.
19
20 - Jörg