From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Setting up SMTP relay
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 21:36:42
1 Hi there!
2
3 On my desktop PC, I have set up ssmtp with access data for my mail
4 server, so things like smartmontools or portage can send me emails.
5
6 This is working fine. But there are other PCs in the LAN, which I would
7 also like to get status emails from. Being not the only one with root
8 access there, I do not want to duplicate the ssmtp setup because of the
9 password stored in ssmtp.conf.
10
11 Is there an easy solution? Like setting up a simple SMTP server on my
12 desktop PC, that accepts connections from the LAN and forwards mails to
13 my external mail server?
14
15 I once had courier running, but did not really understand the
16 configuration, and would not really like to set it up again. Or dovecot,
17 which I heard good things about, so I would prefer it now. But maybe the
18 default configuration only needs few changes for my purpose? Or maybe
19 there is another simple tool that does just what I want?
20
21 It's nothing important, so if there's no simple solution, I'll just skip
22 this and check the logs from time to time.
23
24 Wonko