From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: updating ALL packages
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:05:37
1 On Wed, Jul 23 2014, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2
3 > My normal updating procedure is
4 >
5 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask --deep --tree --verbose --jobs --load-average=5"
6 > emerge --update --changed-use --keep-going @world
7 >
8 > I had mistakenly thought this would update all packages not at the
9 > latest version (subject to package.accept_keywords, package.mask, ...).
10 >
11 > I now realize that it only does this for the packages in world and then
12 > follows the dependency tree. So if package A in world is up to date, A
13 > depends of B, and a new version of B appears, B will not be updated.
14
15 This must be wrong since my procedure does sometimes offer to update
16 non-world packages
17
18 > As a result eix-test-obsolete finds that I have packages installed that
19 > are no longer in the database.
20 >
21 > I could do
22 >
23 > emerge --update the-2-dozen-such-packages
24 >
25 > Is that wise?
26
27 I would still want to know if the executing the last emerge command is
28 wise and also would like to understand what my update world procedure
29 is actually doing.
30
31 > thanks,
32 > allan
33
34 PS Sorry for the error. New rule no email to gentoo-user before my
35 morning shower.