From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Who believes in cylinders?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 00:23:35
1 On Samstag 27 Februar 2010, walt wrote:
2 > There's been some talk here recently about partitions versus cylinder
3 > boundaries, and when or even if they need to line up properly.
4 >
5 > I'm confused. For many years now I've ignored "cylinders" completely
6 > because I've read that modern disks are addressed by sector number only,
7 > and disks don't know or care about cylinders. The "cylinder" seems to
8 > be a fiction that sticks around like a drunk who refuses to leave when
9 > the party is over.
10 >
11 > The recent thread about the new disks with 1024-byte sectors has me
12 > even more confused.
13 >
14 > IIUC the new disks *do* care (at least) about where a partition
15 > begins relative to it's own 1024-byte hardware sectors, and that
16 > part makes perfect sense.
17 >
18 > But, to me, that still leaves the "cylinder" as a completely useless
19 > fiction that needs to join MSDOS in the scrap heap of history.
20 >
21 > Am I right to separate the 1024-byte sector problem from "cylinders"
22 > as being two entirely different and orthogonal ideas?
23 >
24 > Is there really any need for the "cylinder" these days?
25 >
26 > Happy Friday :)
27
28 no. Until you have to beat fdisk into submission. Yes, cylinders are
29 anachronistic crap. Sadly a lot of tools (and the kernel) are still infected.