From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ghostscript - font path
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:03:37
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:25:48 -0700 Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > "gs -h" gives me the following font path for Ghostscript
6 > Search path:
7 > [...]
8 > Where these paths are coming from?
9
10 Compiled into the binary?
11
12 > According to
13 > documentation: /usr/share/doc/ghostscript-esp-8.15.3/html/Use.htm The
14 > documentation only mention "Xfree86" display servers but I would
15 > imagine is it is applicable to Xorg as well. So, the fonts path from
16 > xorg.conf should be searchable by Ghostscript as well but they are
17 > not.
18
19 Hm? What makes you think so? BTW, X11 output is just one driver in
20 Ghostscript. It doesn't have to be present at all. So the connection
21 between GS and X is only a thin line...
22
23 > Ghostscript doesn't know anything about them; as one of the pdf
24 > document was giving me an error, I couldn't convert from pdf2ps it
25 > was looking for: gbsn00lp.ttf font I have this font
26 > in /usr/share/fonts/arphicfonts/ Only when I created a link
27 > in: /usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript/
28 >
29 > ln -s /usr/share/fonts/arphicfonts/gbsn00lp.ttf gbsn00lp.ttf
30 > to this font it converted from pdf2ps
31
32 Yes, might happen. But it is common sense that you should embed all
33 needed fonts into the PDF anyway. For older versions of PDFs there was
34 an exception for the Base14 fonts, and those are (by means of
35 replacement versions) accessible from GS' own font store (the path you
36 said is present and works). You never know at a later point in time
37 whether you have the right font, with the right encoding: even if the
38 name matches you can't be sure.
39
40 > Shouldn't "gs -h" show list of path fonts from xorg.conf file?
41
42 No. If you run it that way, there's no X needed anyway. And "gs -h"
43 should just show what is configured.
44
45 -hwh
46 --