From: Wolfgang Liebich <wolfgang.liebich@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Questions about java SDK ebuilds for linux
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:04:53
1 Am 2013-08-26 18:40, schrieb James:
2 > Wolfgang Liebich <wolfgang.liebich <at> siemens-enterprise.com> writes:
5 >> Hi,
6 >> I'm using GENTOO linux as development platform for Java applications.
7 >> JAVA 8 is not officially out there, but still I would like to start
8 >> testing it, and there are "early access"
9 >> downloads at the oracle website.
10 >
11 > Checkout project sunrise and then other overlay sites for early offerings...
12
13 Is there something like a comprehensive guide to the overlays, or a overlay search engine?
14 I looked around in some of the JAVA overlays, but they look rather dated (or contain only java based
15 application's ebuilds).
18 >> Furthermore, the ebuilds for the IBM JDKs seem to be somewhat abandoned -
19 > is there an build for the ibm jdk V7
20 >> available somewhere? I did not
21 >> find anything (yet)...
22 >
23 > IMHO, JAVA get's a bad rap in the open source world for a variety,
24 > sometimes very good, reasons. What JAVA on gentoo lacks is devoted
25 > afficionado team to keep up with supporting JAVA on Gentoo...
26
27 There was a JAVA project for gentoo, but it seems quite dead. The wiki pages refer to the transition to JAVA 5,
28 was...well... some time ago :-)
29
30 This is a pity, though, as the java-config mechanism is really very useful.
34 > YMMV,
35 > hth, James