From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "emerge -pv world" output: strange differences after Portage upgrade
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:31:35
1 On Thursday 15 February 2007 23:21, b.n. wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 > I recently upgraded Portage (and a couple of other unrelated
5 > packages). After the upgrade, I noticed that "emerge -pv world" before
6 > and after give two very different results. In particular:
7 >
8 > 1) I had a lot of sound-related packages that are no more in portage
9 > still installed. Okay, I should get rid of them.
10 > BEFORE: emerge -pv warned me of all these packages.
11 > AFTER: emerge -pv warns me of only one package (djplay)
12 >
13 > 2) I still have to upgrade dbus to 1.0.2
14 > BEFORE: the dbus upgrade was in the -pv output
15 > AFTER: It seems the dbus upgrade is no more in emerge -pv world.
16 >
17 > 3) I am currently running GCC 4.1.x, but I am keeping gcc 3.3 and 3.4
18 > installed (I could probably get rid of gcc 3.3.x, but whatever...)
19 > BEFORE: no gcc upgrade was required
20 > AFTER: Portage wants me to upgrade gcc 3.3.6 and 3.4.6 to their minor
21 > upgrades.
22
23 My guess is that at least one of your issues has something to do with the
24 new portage behavior regarding buid time dependencies. This is the
25 relevant message displayed when upgrading:
26
27 In portage-2.1.2, installation actions do not necessarily pull in build
28 time dependencies that are not strictly required. This behavior is
29 adjustable via the new --with-bdeps option that is documented in the
30 emerge(1) man page. For more information regarding this change, please
31 refer to bug #148870.
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list