From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: My printing's not working. Help, please!
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 13:30:08
1 Hello, Walt.
2
3 On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 05:11:43PM -0700, walt wrote:
4 > On 04/13/2012 08:39 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > Hi, all.
6
7 > > My printing's not working. I've got cups-1.4.8-r1 installed.
8
9 > Have you tried deleting the cups printers using the localhost:631 cups
10 > server? I've had so many obscure printing problems after updating the
11 > cups package, I just routinely delete and recreate the printers before
12 > I even try to print something. Usually fixes my printing problems.
13
14 OK, I tried that (though it turns out it wasn't the problem, see below).
15 I'm glad I wrote down my about-to-be-deleted config first. localhost:631
16 has got to be the cruddiest GUI configurer around. I think I had to
17 describe my (USB connected) printer as "scsi", and then a little later
18 had to enter a "NAME", without any indication being given of whose name.
19 Luckily, I have enough experience to guess correctly, 'cause there's no
20 help on these things. How I hate cups!
21
22 My actual problem was that my printer is on /dev/lp0, generated by mdev.
23 When I switched back to a udev system, the printer's on /dev/usblp0
24 (which is a symlink to /dev/usb/lp0).
25
26 There doesn't seem to be anything in any cups config file to specify the
27 device to print to. The nearest thing to a config item is
28
29 DeviceURI usb://Samsung/ML-1450
30
31 in /etc/printers.conf. I don't know where "usb://" is defined - Firefox
32 rejects it straight off. I don't know how this URI is converted to
33 /dev/usblp0, but it seems to be hard coded in effect.
34
35 So, can I configure "usb://Samsung/ML-1450" as /dev/lp0?
38 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).