From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] rc single, rc default console login
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:06:13
1 Hi folks,
2
3 I from time to time will go to a console and do a rc single to go to
4 single user mode. I have noticed something weird when I go back to rc
5 default tho. On the #1 console, it acts and looks like I am logged out
6 but when I type in the user name root, it acts like it is a command.
7 Same with the password. However, if I just type in a command, it spits
8 that back out too. It doesn't seem to like a login or a command.
9
10 It did this a bit ago. I just typed in junk and let it reach the bad
11 login limit and reset the console. It then gave me a login and let me
12 do a legitimate login. It cleared the screen which is what is in
13 .bash_login so I know I am logged in.
14
15 This is just sort of weird to me. The screen when it gets through
16 starting services looks just like it does when I reboot. I see the last
17 few services at the top then my login prompt at the bottom. Everything
18 looks normal but it's not. What can I check? Is this normal? When I
19 type in rc default should something reset tty1 so that a new login is
20 required? It acts like it is still logged in as root which could be a
21 security problem for some. Just curious really.
22
23 Dale
24