From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] rc single, rc default console login
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:06:13
Hi folks,

I from time to time will go to a console and do a rc single to go to
single user mode.  I have noticed something weird when I go back to rc
default tho.  On the #1 console, it acts and looks like I am logged out
but when I type in the user name root, it acts like it is a command.
Same with the password.  However, if I just type in a command, it spits
that back out too.  It doesn't seem to like a login or a command.

It did this a bit ago.  I just typed in junk and let it reach the bad
login limit and reset the console.  It then gave me a login and let me
do a legitimate login.  It cleared the screen which is what is in
.bash_login so I know I am logged in.

This is just sort of weird to me.  The screen when it gets through
starting services looks just like it does when I reboot.  I see the last
few services at the top then my login prompt at the bottom.  Everything
looks normal but it's not.  What can I check?  Is this normal?  When I
type in rc default should something reset tty1 so that a new login is
required?  It acts like it is still logged in as root which could be a
security problem for some.  Just curious really.

Dale

:-)  :-)