From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 07:48:06
1 On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 18:48:48 -0500
2 Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > 2. Why do you care about those specific packages in world? Do they
5 > > cause a conflict or some other large problem? Personally I'd just
6 > > leave them in world
7 >
8 > That's the plan.
9 >
10 > Most of these servers have been running forever. I've never
11 > reformatted a gentoo box. If every once in a while a package gets
12 > added to world, it's not a problem today or tomorrow, but it might be
13 > in ten years if these boxes are still up -- and I expect some of them
14 > to be.
15
16 The way I see it there are actually two issues here, and the thread is
17 conflating them.
18
19 One is maintaining what is in world, dealing with bloat if it
20 happens, and depcleaning stuffs. All this is the province of portage.
21
22 The other is *why* you put that package there in the first place
23 because now you must maintain it. You chose to install a lowish level
24 lib for reasons of your own and forgot to document it and portage
25 cannot help you.
26
27 So your actual problem is that you relied on an arbitrary behaviour of
28 portage from the days when the standard was "whatever portage does
29 today" and you are unhappy because for you that is now broken.
30
31 But no-one ever promised you that behaviour in a stable API.
34 Alan McKinnnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com