From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Regular user can't mount/unmount mtpfs; root is OK
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 05:07:36
1 On 24/07/14 07:59, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I sent this a day or 2 ago, but it doesn't show up on the list for me.
3 > Apologies to anyone seeing a duplicate.
4 >
5 > I'm a total noobie at mtpfs/FUSE. My "excellent adventure" started
6 > yesterday when I got a clearout 7" tablet, and took a sample photo, and
7 > tried mounting the tablet... no /dev/sdb to be found anywhere. I went
8 > to "Mr. Google" for help, and found out that MTP is the "new and
9 > improved" way of doing things. So I installed mtpfs. It works great
10 > for root, but a regular user can't mount the tablet. The mtpfs command
11 > immediately returns to the command prompt, with no error message or any
12 > other info. The tablet is not mounted...
13 >
14 > [d531][waltdnes][~] mtpfs ~/tablet
15 > [d531][waltdnes][~]
16 >
17 > Before anyone asks...
18 >
19 > 1) Yes, I have enabled FUSE in the kernel. At first I hadn't, but I got
20 > a big red warning when I tried compiling mtpfs. I tweaked and rebuilt
21 > the kernel, and rebooted, then built mtpfs.
22 >
23 > 2) Yes, I am a member of plugdev...
24 >
25 > [d531][root][~] grep plugdev /etc/group
26 > plugdev:x:247:waltdnes,user2
27 >
28 > 3) This PC uses mdev rather than udev. Could that be the problem?
29 >
30 > I've figured out a kludge to get around it. This involves issuing a
31 > few commands as root. I've added them into a file in /etc/sudoers.d/
32 > but I'd really rather prefer a cleaner solution.
33 >
34 > [d531][root][~] mtpfs -o allow_other /home/waltdnes/tablet
35 > Device 0 (VID=0bb4 and PID=2008) is UNKNOWN.
36 > Please report this VID/PID and the device model to the libmtp development team
37 > Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
38 >
39 > When I was finished, I tried...
40 >
41 > [d531][waltdnes][~] fusermount -u tablet
42 > fusermount: entry for /home/waltdnes/tablet not found in /etc/mtab
43 >
44 > I had to unmount as root...
45 >
46 > [d531][root][~] fusermount -u /home/waltdnes/tablet
47 >
48 > I experienced similar problems with simple-mtpfs, so that's not a
49 > solution either. Any ideas?
52 Install gnome-base/gvfs with USE="gphoto2 mtp" and then use gvfs-mount
53 to mount the device, because gvfs-mount
54 will make use of your PolicyKit with ConsoleKit or systemd-logind
55 authorization that allows mounting as a *local*
56 and *normal* user.
57 Then you don't need the mtpfs command, any group, any custom udev rules, ...