From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Using Gentoo for Sound Recording
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:32:29
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Christoph Eckert [mailto:ce@×××××××××.de]
3 > Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 1:08 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using Gentoo for Sound Recording
8 > > I have ardour installed on the box, unfortunately, JACK is currently
9 > > being a jerk and giving me fits.  I tried to install the GUI
10 > > configurator for JACK, and after 4 hours of emerging the QTlibs, the
11 > > compile failed, so Im kinda banging my head on the wall right now.
12 >
13 > as soon the wall is down :) , it's most probably worth a new try.
14 >
15 > I guess you tried to install qjackctl. It's a cool frontend to jack, but
16 > if you don't need to connect various audio applications and devices
17 > maybe you'll be glad with running jackd on the command line.
18 >
19 > The 'only' thing you need to do is configuring jackd to fit your setup;
20 > see the web and the linux audio user list for help.
21 >
22 > If you need to do multitrack recording and/or low latencies, jackd and
23 > ardour surely is worth a try.
26 > Best regards
29 > ce
30 >
31 > --
32 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
33
34 Hi Christoph - yes, that was the gui I was working on.
35
36 Jack wont start for some reason from the CLI (I don't know why)
37
38 Here is a transcript of the session attempt to start jackd
39
40 audacity ~ # jackd -dalsa
41 jackd 0.99.0
42 Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
43 jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
44 This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
45 under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
46
47 JACK compiled with System V SHM support
49 creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
50 control device hw:0
51 configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
52 Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
53 Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
54 ALSA: cannot set number of periods to 2 for capture
55 ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
56 cannot load driver module alsa
57 audacity ~ #
61 I really don't know what the problem is, as ALSA works fine, its in use with audacity.
62
63 Any pointers you can provide would be great,
64
65 Sadly, it turns out that ardour does not have the one specific functionality that I needed, but it may be useful anyway, and I would like to play with it.
66
67 TIM
71 Timothy A. Holmes
72 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
73
74 Medina Christian Academy
75 A Higher Standard...
76