From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Google and "fetchmail" + "ssmtp"
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:04:19
1 On 17/03/2022 18:51, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > since quite some time, longe before "converting" to Gentoo, I've used
5 > "fetchmail" and "ssmtp" to retrieve and send mail via my Google account.
6 >
7 > Some time after I had all set up, Google started nagging about my not-
8 > so-secure access to my mail account via just userid and password. Up to
9 > now I simply ignored that. But now Google told me to only allow "Sign
10 > in with Google" or OAuth 2.0 after 2022-05-30.
11 >
12 > I've seen quite a few people with "@gmail" or "@googlemail" addresses on
13 > this list, so others might have a similar problem, but maybe nobody but
14 > me is using this Google + "fetchmail" + "ssmtp" combination. Any ideas
15 > how to get OAuth into this set-up?
16
17 I don't use fetchmail (just an email client), but fetchmail 7 apparently
18 supports oauth2. It's masked in portage because it's still alpha
19 (net-mail/fetchmail-7.0.0_alpha9-r1).
20
21 And then read:
22
23 http://mmogilvi.users.sourceforge.net/software/oauthbearer.html
24
25 Which also seems to contain Gentoo instructions. Apparently, you don't
26 need to apply the patches for fetchmail 6 if you instead unmask and
27 emerge the 7.0.0 alpha version.