From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommend a good replacement for XFCE?
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 16:21:57
1 On 2016-09-24, David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Fri, 23 Sep 2016, Grant Edwards wrote:
5 >>Would anybody care to make a recommendation?
6 >
7 > Ever checked out WindowMaker (x11-wm/windowmaker)? The default config
8 > is quite clunky though, but there's many themes and stuff.
9
10 I think I tried once upon a time (back when I was looking for a fvwm
11 replacement and ended up switching to XFCE).
12
13 > But I'm not sure what you mean by root-window menu / task-bar /
14 > toolbar.
15
16 You got it right.
17
18 >>I don't want any storage auto-mounter, network manager, modem manager,
19 >>or any of that sort of thing. Anything with "manager" in the name is
20 >>probably right out.
21 >
22 > Neither do I :) As well as most anything with "Kit".
23
24 Back in the SunOS/Solaris days, it was anything ending in "tool".
25
26 > But no fear, you need to do that only once, I did that in IIRC 2002 or
27 > so with WMaker 0.65 and never touched that config ever again. I think
28 > there was once some feature renamed or so, but you get that with
29 > xemacs/mutt/tin as well.
30 >
31 > So, IMO it's should be worth a look. But _do_ have a look through the
32 > config-tool at the options (like the focus and moving stuff) and
33 > ignore the UI-look, that can be tuned a lot, the default is rather
34 > boring (but functional).
35
36 Thanks, I'll add WindowMaker to the list.
37
38 > Apart from that: LXDE comes to mind.
39
40 That too.
43 Grant