From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Windows XP on Gentoo Laptop
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 20:27:13
1 On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Alan McKinnon
5 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > > On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
7 > > > > Good luck. After backing up my Gentoo laptop install I can
8 > > > > confirm that the HP Recovery Disk that comes with the laptop
9 > > > > blows the whole disk away and reformats it like it was new from
10 > > > > the factory. With this disk anyway there was no way to get Vista
11 > > > > onto the disk and save the existing Gentoo install. that will
12 > > > > have to be reloaded form backups.
13 > > >
14 > > > Piffle, that's nothing. At least your Windows installer would have
15 > > > given you a prompt.
16 > >
17 > > I don't follow Alan.
18 > >
19 > > The HP recovery disk boots and asks somethng like 'Do you want to
20 > > restore the disk to the way it was shipped from HP?" Answer no and it
21 > > does nothing. Answer yes and if blows away all partitions, builds two
22 > > new partitions, and puts the HP image on the disk.
23 > >
24 > > I don't follow what you mean?
25 >
26 > It's a bizarre joke after a bizarre day :-)
27 >
28 > The Windows recovery disk at least prompts you to answer yes. The Red
29 > Hat PXE server doesn't.
30 >
31 > The joke's on me - I was the one who installed that PXE server ...
32 >
33 OK, thanks to you and Uwe for explaining.
34
35 - Mark
36 --
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list