From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] artsd Error
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 10:35:13
1 On Thu, 11 May 2006 11:51:07 +0200 (CEST), Norman Rieß wrote:
2
3 > Thank you... i will do that.
4 > What does artsd and why is it installed?
5
6 It is the KDE sound daemon, esd performs a similar task for GNOME. Sound
7 daemons are a way for more than one application to be able to use the
8 sound device, even if it doesn't support hardware mixing, so a program
9 alert can beep when you are listening to music. ALSA now supports mixing
10 out of the box, so sound daemons are largely redundant.
14 Neil Bothwick
15
16 TROI : What am I sensing?? I'm sensing INCOMPETENCE, you pretentious
17 bald pseudo-French dickweed!