From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo video camera security system
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:14:17
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 06:40:11 -0700, Grant wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think USB cameras would be the way to go. Does anyone know of a USB
5 >> camera that works well with Gentoo?
6 >
7 > You can also use standard composite output security cameras, connected to
8 > a TV card with a composite input.
9
10 except that you then have to provide power to the camera as well, and
11 composite is pretty bad at interference over long distances, especially
12 if you're running AC next to it!
13
14 On the other hand, I've run composite without amplification about 30
15 meters in a proper shielded environment, and had a clear (as the
16 original) picture at the other end. I don't know how USB would go over
17 that distance...
18
19 USB cameras put the reliance on your webcam drivers working, composite
20 cameras put the reliance on your TV card. And TV cards with multiple
21 inputs can start to get expensive, but most cheap motherboards have
22 multiple usb nowadays.
26 Barth's Distinction:
27 There are two types of people: those who divide people into two
28 types, and those who don't.