From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot authenticate successfully with SSH
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 17:37:46
1 On Sunday 07 December 2008 17:47:07 Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 04 December 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Anyone know if RSA keys are incompatible between ssh-3.8 and sshd-4.2?
4 > >
5 > > I have this combination between 2 clients and 1 server.
6 > > RSA keys consistently fail, DSA keys consistently succeed.
7 > > The clients are on FreeBSD 5.4 and 5.5, server is FreeBSD 6.1
8 > >
9 > > I found one report on google of a similar case with a MacOS client
10 > > connecting to a Gentoo server where the user reported
11 > > upgrading to sshd-4.3 fixed it, but the key type was not mentioned and I
12 > > cannot find any reference about it in OpenSSH's Changelogs, or it's
13 > > bugzilla
14 >
15 > Have you had a look at your .ssh/config on the client - you might have
16 > specified in there which method/keys to use and forgotten about it. I've
17 > been through this loop a couple of times thinking why on earth is the login
18 > session behaving like this, only to discover that I had set up some
19 > parameter in the config file and forgotten all about it.
20
21 Thanks for replying. I had previously gone through all relevant config files,
22 without success. Just now I tried to login again and this time it
23 succeeded...
24
25 I reckon that during my previous tests, I must have forgotten to restart sshd
26 after the last change. Now I can't recall what the last change was, so the
27 slow process of trying to recreate it now begins.
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com