From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Notice: possible past, present and future breakage related to .la files
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:30:29
1 On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:25:57 +0200, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
3 >
4 >> > Does that mean I shouldn't have to run lafilefixer as it runs
5 >> > automatically on new installs?
6 >>
7 >> You should still run it once, to make sure that the system is clean, but
8 >> you can forget about it afterwards, and even unmerge it from the system.
9 >
10 > Ah, so portage uses an internal finction, it doesn't need lafilefixer. In
11 > that case I'll run and unmerge it.
12 >
13 >> The alternative, of course, is to emerge -e world — but I wouldn't
14 >> suggest that just to spend some time ;)
15 >
16 > I consider most uses of emerge -e world as the Gentoo equivalent of a
17 > Windows reinstall.
18
19 So true. The couple of times I've used it my mental state was "I give up."
20
21 I must admit that nearly every day I spend using Windows 7 (which I
22 have to for my futures trading) I feel pretty much the same. So
23 depressing how bad even this newest version of Windows is compared to
24 where Linux & Gentoo have gotten to.
25
26 GGUG +1
27 GOGUG +1