From: "Jesús J. Guerrero Botella" <jesus.guerrero.botella@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Experiences with ATI Radeon HD 4250 video card?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:05:18
1 2010/12/21 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>:
2 >  I'm looking for a Boxing-Day gift for myself.  The local Walmart shows
3 > an interesting 17" Acer laptop at...
4 > http://www.walmart.ca/Electronics/Computers/Laptops/17quot-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-AS7551-3029-173-Notebook
5 >
6 >  Reading the specs, it does not seem to be cutting corners, low price
7 > notwithstanding.  As usual, my main concern is the video chip, and
8 > Gentoo support (or lack thereof?).  If it can be made to work under
9 > Gentoo without trouble, I'm very interested.  Anyone hear one way or the
10 > other about linux, especially Gentoo, compatability?
11
12 My chip is integrated, but it's close to that one. It's a 4200hd card.
13 It works perfectly with the open source (radeon) driver. Compositing
14 works ok as well.
15
16 I don't do gaming, though. So can't comment on that. The open source
17 drivers is all I would ever recommend for ATi cards. If you plan to
18 use proprietary drivers then I'd use some other brand.
21 Jesús Guerrero Botella