From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cloning movie DVDs with dd - only works after accessing disk with another command?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:50:52
1 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > Now I've got this new machine with all this space on it (or rather:
4 > now I seem to be more interested in doing stuff with this machine I
5 > built a while ago), I'm starting on the process of ripping all my DVDs.
6 >
7 > In the past I tried media-video/undvd for DVD ripping, but its .mp4
8 > support now is broken, and probably won't be fixed.
9 >
10 > This week I've been trying HandBrakeCLI, and it seems to work pretty
11 > darn lovely.
12
13 You cannot simply clone a DVD with dd.
14
15 1) Use dvdcopy with deCSS and create a copied directory tree.
16 Make sure to retain kapital letters in filenames.
17
18 2) Use mkisofs -dvd-video to create a new ifs image
19
20 3) Use cdrecord -atip tp read the layerbreak
21
22 4) Use cdrecord -dao -v driveropts=layerbreak=# xxx.iso
23 to write the data to a DVD+R/DL
24
25 Jörg
28 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin