From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cryptfs
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 07:51:32
1 Am Samstag, 29. März 2008 schrieb Florian Philipp:
2
3 > My goal is to open a Luks-mapping for /var with a gpg-encrypted file
4 > on /boot and then open a mapping for /var/tmp with a plaintext file
5 > on /var.
6
7 See below. But while we're at it, can anybody tell me what's the advantage of
8 a gpg-encrypted keyfile over a keyfile generated from /dev/urandom?
9
10 > I thought it would work with the following settings:
11 >
12 > /etc/conf.d/cryptfs
13
14 It's /etc/conf.d/dmcrypt nowadays.
15
16 > target=var
17 > source='/dev/mapper/vg-crypt_var'
18 > key='/boot/key.gpg:gpg'
19 >
20 > target=var_tmp
21 > source='/dev/mapper/vg-crypt_var_tmp'
22 > key='/var/lib/tmp_key'
25 > I've read the warning in /etc/conf.d/cryptfs about /usr on a separate
26 > partition and followed their advice.
27
28 Which warning, btw.? Works just fine here.
29
30 > However, the setup doesn't work. I'm not asked for the passphrase, the
31 > mappings are not created. What did I forget?
32
33 That the mappings are created all in one go before anything is mounted, so you
34 can't put the keyfile for /var into /boot. The only thing that would work is
35 to put the keyfile on the root fs, because that's the only one that is
36 mounted when the mappings are created, like:
37
38 target='c-usr'
39 source='/dev/evms/usr'
40 key='/etc/crypt/keyfile'