From: du yang <duyang.seu@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Find root partition
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:25:15
1 On Thursday 01/20/11 00:52:40 CST, Mark Shields wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Matthias Fechner <idefix@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 > Dear list,
5 >
6 > I switched now to a new mainboard and it seems that the drive numbering
7 > changed or my kernel does not detect any hard disks...
8 > If I try to boot my gentoo the kernel panic because it cannot find the
9 > root partition.
10 >
11 > After the panic I cannot scroll up to check what drives are detected and
12 > which numbering is used. What must I do to be able to scroll up to see
13 > what is logged to the screen?
14 > (is there maybe a special key available, the shift+page-up and scroll is
15 > not working)
16 >
17 > Thanks
18 > Matthias
19 >
20 > --
21 >
22 > "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
23 > build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to
24 > produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." --
25 > Rich Cook
28 > Your best bet is to boot from a livecd or gentoo minimal, and run fdisk -l to
29 > show the disk/partition listing.
30 >
31 > Also, as Neil stated, make sure your new SATA chipset drivers are compiled into
32 > the kernel and not as a module; however, it you switched from say, for example,
33 > and nvidia-based motherboard to another nvidia-based motherboard, then you
34 > don't need to worry about that.
35
36 Yes, to boot from a livecd is a easier way to found a booting problem.
37
38 After boot from livecd, any partition can be mounted to check the contents.
39
40 And also you could recompile the kernel and install packages after mounting all the required partition and a chroot operation.
43 oooO:::::::::
45 :\.(:::Oooo::