From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Email clients - what can replace Evolution?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:00:35
1 On 2/28/07, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 28 February 2007 11:30:23 Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > Thanks. Yes, I'm completely through the emerge -DuN world,
4 > > revdep-rebuild process. No help there. Evolution continues to crash.
5 > > We were running Evolution 2.4. Unfortunately it's no longer in
6 > > portage. I've built every unmasked and masked version in portage and
7 > > they all crash. BugBuddy pops up but the backtrace is useless since
8 > > there is no debugging info. I'm going to rebuild the who machine from
9 > > scratch (emerge -e system, emerge -e world) to see if I get lucky.
10 >
11 > You have realized that you need to use either FEATURES=nostrip or
12 > FEATURES=splitdebug to get a better backtrace? Adding "-g" to your CFLAGS
13 > wouldn't hurt either.
14 >
15 > --
16 > Bo Andresen
17
18 Thanks Bo. I read through the backtrace page you pointed me at and
19 decided I didn't understand enough of it to correctly get through it.
20 As a result I'm making no attempt at this point to get a back trace.
21 I'm just rebuilding everything on time to see if Evolution starts
22 working. I'm done with emerge -e system and about 1/3 of the way
23 through emerge -e world so maybe this evening I'll know the results of
24 that.
25
26 If it still fails then I'll have to return here one more time to ask
27 questions about what needs to be rebuilt. Must I rebuild everything or
28 can I just do Evolution and see if it drops into a library and then
29 rebuild that library and go deeper?
30
31 I have no desire to rebuild the complete system just to find a bug in
32 a program my dad doesn't really care if he's running only to find that
33 like a number of bug reports I'm made recently I never get a response
34 and there was no reason to do all the work on my end.
35
36 Cheers,
37 Mark
38 --